586 E. Main Street, McCall’s Addition, City of Ashland

  • 1907 – Orliena and James McCall, Ashland’s acting city engineer, sell lots 5 and 6 of McCall’s Addition to Henry Sparr. Mr. Sparr is manager of Ashland Lumber Company and secretary of the Elk’s Club No. 944
  • June, 1908 – Sparr sells the two lots to Joseph T. Currie, who has real estate and gold mining interests.
  • August, 1908 – The Daily Tidings reports, in its realty and building activity section: “Jos. Currie is building a large modern house of nine rooms on lots on East Main Street.”
  • 1909 – Boarders at Jos. Currie’s Boarding House include Mrs. Margaret Thom, superintendent of the Southern Oregon Hospital. Fire damaged the hospital that year and it’s been speculated that the boarding house was used as a temporary hospital.
  • 1910 – First of several changes made to the house, including addition of the front bedroom and rear porch.
  • 1911 and 1912 – Polk City Directory lists boarders as nurses, carpenters, railroaders and a Daily Tidings printer.
  • 1923 – Currie sells the house to William F. and Minda DeWitt, who continue to operate it as a boarding house and later add a taxicab service.
  • 1935 – Polk’s directory shows that boarders include a student and two telephone company workers. At one time 10 young women are residents, paying $30 a month for room, breakfast and dinner.
  • Mid 30’s – Mrs. Dewitt also served dinner, described by one person as being “the finest table in town.”
  • 1940-41 – All boarders identified in the City Directory as being students.
  • 1942 – Polk’s Directory identifies the property as the only boarding house in Ashland, with students, clerks and a person identified as being in the Army.
  • 1945 – Boarding House closes and for the next 20 years the house is rented out to several families, including the Beans, a logging family that also took in boarders.
  • 1950s – Renters included Blanche C. Huffman, a realtor, and Ardell and Bonnie Forney. He manages Ashland Bowling Lanes and later they own the Rolling Pin Donut shop at 413 East Main Street
  • 1965 – Robert and Agnes Hendrix, who had been logging camp cooks and came to town to buy to Plaza Bakery, 61 N. Main Street, purchase the property
  • 1981 – Lawrence and Lynda Thirlwall, purchase the house and build a large addition at the back, currently used as two rental rooms, kitchen and pantry.
  • June 1982 – Thirlwalls open the Edinburgh Lodge B&B on the site. Not long after, they sell the inn to Graham and Bunny Lewis, who continue to operate it as the Edinburgh Lodge.
  • 1993 – Kate Jackson and Chuck Keil purchase the property, modernized the house, rename it Anne Hathaway’s Cottage and operate it as a bed and breakfast inn.
  • 2002 – Deedie and David Runkel purchase the inn and continue to operate it today.
  • 2004 – The Runkels purchase 637 and 649 East Main Street, two cottages that had been operated as travelers’ accommodations and change the name of the combined properties to Anne Hathaway’s B&B and Garden Suites.
  • 2009 – The Runkels build a new cottage in the rear of 637 E. Main, which now houses the Iris room downstairs and the Rose room upstairs.
Call 541.488.1050 for reservations, or make one online!